The SLA Board and Rite of Passage are focused on changing the achievement levels and behavior of the Phoenix alternative school population. Our primary goal is to improve student attendance, engagement and achievement. Strategies for meeting targeted needs include, but are not limited to:
• Dropout Rates: Credit Recovery, Response to Intervention (RtI), relationship-based culture, rigorous curriculum, summer mentoring, Orientation program.
• Truancy: SLA staff will call homes every day, provide behavioral support with feedback, engage parents, provide bus passes and breakfast program.
• Achievement Gaps: Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) and English Language Development (ELD) instructional program, culturally relevant pedagogy, bilingual staff, research-based instructional practices, Assessment programs.
• High-risk Behavior: Behavior mentors, Positive Behavioral Intervention Strategies (PBIS), Staff training and Professional development, Personal Education Plans (PEP), collaboration with Parole/Probation/Social Worker.
Culture: Southwest Leadership Academy provides quality education services, giving students the opportunities, academics, vocational and social skills to succeed. Students are challenged to strive for excellence; to change anti-social and personally unproductive behaviors; and become respectful of themselves and others. Customized programs to meet these needs include:
• special education services
• customized educational environments
• socio-emotional growth programming